Wednesday 14 December 2016

Hundreds and thousands!

I guess in a way bird-wise nothing much to shout about at Strumble in the way of rarities although I thought this gull might be worth a bit of examination by someone more into gulls than me!


Anyhow we usually a few overwintering or passing divers but they have been few and far between so far this winter.

The winter gull flock is pretty impressive, feeding out beyond main the tidal race. in a long ribbon continuing over a couple of miles or more.

                                     

 They seem to stretch way past our view and into Fishguard Bay . I counted a slice of 100 and then divided what I could see into similar slices coming up with a total of over 2,000 birds  mainly Black Headed gulls but there were also lots of Auks on the water with a steady stream of birds flying in from the west to join them!