Saturday 13 May 2017

Strumble Head (13 May 17)

Well it was a long day in the office yesterday - itching to get down here to see the RFF.

This morning I was out for 5am and parked myself on the road point where I could see the house and the first bare field and telegraph lines.  (I wanted to see if the RFF had been roosting in the garden!).

By 0720 still no sign and it was starting to look like a dip was on the cards.  Thankfully at that point Peter and Simon Murray found the bird at the top of the second seeded field.

It proceeded to show really well - down to 10yds.  After some time it moved down the field and into the first seeded field.  In there it did a few "hover and drop on prey" reps but then without warning gained height and started hawking.  It flew in a straight line towards my house so I legged it back to the top of the road where I could see it over the garden (another garden tick!).  However, I then lost it as it started hawking again (0920).  It was not seen again by lunchtime.

Also Red Kite around and Yellow Wagtail fly-over.

Pics to follow later tonight...